[lbo-talk] Randian Personal Ads

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 05:42:07 PST 2008

And a lot of it has to do with getting those first few paychecks and seeing the FICA/Social Security deductions and thinking, "FUCK THIS! I want those taxes IN my paycheck!!"

Seriously, that's what a lot of 20 - 30 yr old Libertarianism is really about. FICA/payroll tax resentment. Period.

-B.

Andy wrote:

"Yes. I've noticed among people who cite her as a favorite author there is a peak around 20 years old -- you're out of the house, finally on your own (maybe driving mom's old car, but who's counting?), and you haven't had to pay a medical bill yet."

Chris Doss wrote:

"I think this 'poor me, nobody loves me, but that's because they aren't as smart as me' trope holds for a lot of political cults, from Randian to Trotskyist, though it's probably greater for the former. It's also common with teenagers, and I think Randianism is teenage psychology write large."