[lbo-talk] Randian Personal Ads

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 06:08:19 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Andy <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recall when somebody here suggested that being a communist was a
> "lonely guy" activity. Guess that trait is not ideologically
> constrained.

That was Katha Pollitt in an interview with Doug. If I recall correctly, she said studying Marxism was a lonely guy activity along the lines of collecting old records. Kinda stings, but sorta true, I think.

Anyway, what strikes me about these ads is the insufferable douchebaggery on display -- so much worse than your garden variety full-of-oneselfness. It makes me wonder if nearly all these people are suffering from undiagnosed Asperger's or something.

In my experience, most Rand devotees are math/science/engineering types who have little to no grounding in the humanities. If you're serious about right libertarian philosophy, Nozick is far more interesting than Ayn Rand.

-WD