[lbo-talk] Smothers

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 10:57:03 PST 2008

I'm watching a bunch of Smothers Brothers shows from '68-69, their final season on CBS, after which they were essentially fired for their political content, despite having high ratings and regularly beating the then-mighty "Bonanza" which ran opposite them on NBC. I'm writing an essay about this box set for my blog and HuffPost, so I won't go into too much here. But I'm now watching the Smothers' interview Benjamin Spock in the Fall of '68, after his trial. It's fucking amazing TV. No wonder CBS censored this segment. The entire war state was being attacked by a leading dissident and one of television's most popular comedy acts. You wouldn't see this even attempted now -- not on a comedy show, anyway. Stewart and Colbert would never go this far.

Dennis