[lbo-talk] Green/BNP crossover

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 11:06:34 PST 2008

Doug wrote:

Didn't one of the founders of the German Greens go over to the far right during the early 1990s? As I recall, both sides of him found affinity with the "Germany for the Germans, Turkey for the Turks" slogan.

Note that this undercurrent of nationalism also exists in sectors of the American green movement.

It's often transmitted in muted form. The subtext to shouts for 'energy independence' is that we should no longer give 'our' trillions to troublesome Arabs, Russians and Venezuelans. And, the 're-localization' movement contains the components of a willed nativism.

It's interesting how Kyoto style international agreements to control carbon emissions are considered by many to be unachievable while ultra-localization -- without any sort of planet scale coordination to scale up its purported benefits -- is applauded as 'sustainable' and, in some crunchy way, patriotic.

At least the oldster green phrase, 'save the planet!' as nonsensical as it is (because really, what we're talking about is saving human life in a civilized form, not the earth, which will endure even if covered by a perpetual super storm) expresses an international point of view.

And wasn't (or isn't) it the case that a not small percentage of back-to-the-earth hippies turned out to be racist ass tunnels?

.d.

-- There's a ghost through me who wants to say "I'm sorry" Doesn't mean I'm sorry

Ladytron, "Ghost" .............................. http://monroelab.net/blog/