[lbo-talk] GMAC, Cerberus, and ResCap

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 20 12:16:57 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2008, at 12:39 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > Doug Henwood wrote:
> >>
> >> how much sympathy would a Walmart worker have for
> >> someone making $50-70/hour?
> >
> > Conceivably a lot. Walmart workers do have minds you know, and I would
> > not be totally amazed if I found a few who used their minds.
>
> Well no shit, dude. But that's not the way consciousness really works
> in a competitive, individualistic society, is it?

We're sort of trading truisms here, but --

Actually, depending on cirumstances (e.g., level of struggle) consciousness can work in all sorts of ways, in this or any other society.

And for another stale but goodie,

Few groups are unanimous in their responses. Hence what is true about _most_ Walmart workers most of the time, will not be true of _all_ Walmart workers, under any conditions.

Carrol