[lbo-talk] On the Threat from Religion

Philp Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 14:01:23 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Thu, 11/20/08, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Meister Eckhardt and Angelus Sllensius were dogmatists?
>
> I agree with Chris on this one. Meister Eckhardt, for example, was not a
> dogmatist, though he was often under threat from Church dogmatists.
> Sometimes such people had to pay lip service to the powers that were so as
> not to get burnt at the stake.
>
> Thomas

Oh yeah, and I quoted Hamann above. A quick glance at his bio indicates that he probably wasn't exactly a good Christian in the dogmatic sense of the term:

"During this time, despite his committed Christianity, he lived with a woman whom he never married but to whom he remained devoted and faithful, having four children on whom he doted, and who occasionally feature in his writings (principally as unruly distractions to the author's scholarship)."