[lbo-talk] On the Threat from Religion

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Nov 20 14:20:28 PST 2008

I thought I would return to this original comment. I think that you wind up with a lot of christian conceptualizations of the world within the history of European peasant and worker movements, particularly millenarianism. This shouldn't be surprising given its ideological centrality. Millenarianism in particular offers a productive vocabulary to challenge modes of power through its particular absolutism. (It also produces some fairly horrifying things, but it does represent an ideological pole of the system that is constantly open to contradiction.) It's also not surprising that Marxist political movements would wind up speaking that language in order to resonate with class struggles that they are participating in. As to Marx's theoretical framework, I must say that your absolute lack of evidence is somewhat unconvincing. It is even less so when one has a passing knowledge of Capital and the Grunrisse. robert wood