[lbo-talk] On the Threat from Religion

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 20 15:29:42 PST 2008

Thomas Seay wrote:

> --- On Thu, 11/20/08, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The idea that universal equality is in some way desirable is
> > one.
>
> Yes, and if there are no ethical precepts even implicit in Marx's message why do intellectuals and people who could be *succesful* in a capitalist system- those that have something to lose- join ranks with the working class under the aegis of Marxism? Is it just an acceptance of the telos?

I'm not very interested in debating Marxology, except where I think other marxists are going astray in concrete practice in ways grounded in a misconstrual of Marx. Otherwise, let the antiquarians of the future worry about it. And I won't debate the following: Marx had no interest in universal equality as a 'value," and in fact did not thnk equality would characterize even a realized communist society. (To each acoording to her needs is an anti-egalitarian slogab -- and even if interpreted that way is STILL not an ethical principle but a practice dictated by the development of a communist society, a social not an ethical principle, and actually a practice rather than a principle.

Those interested might read Chapter 4 of Ollman's _Alienation_.

Universal principle forsooth.

Carrol