[lbo-talk] On the Threat from Religion

Philp Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 17:00:54 PST 2008

> That's not true. From a strictly materialistic point of view (which is
> presumbaly what you're going for) all religion, from tribal myth to
> monotheism in its various forms also tends to push the contradictions of
> society into the supernatural realm. It often does this in an extremely
> clever way, it seems to construct itself around these social
> contradictions.

It may seem that way, but its the other way around.

Well, I did say "from a strictly materialistic point of view" (i.e. ideas/"ideology" generated from a material base) as I thought that's what you were getting at. Actually, I don't think you can logically say which "way around" it works, it seems to me to be a dialectical relationship and thus beyond the realm of strict cause and effect.

This allows people within the belief structure to explain various things
> they find extremely disagreeable in a supernatural manner.

Sure, but that's not the important thing.

What do you mean thats not the important thing? From any perspective, most especially from a political perspective, it is extremely important. It shows how the reproduction of ideas which you spoke of earlier changes (or doesn't) in response to material/enviromental change.