[lbo-talk] On the Threat from Religion

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Nov 20 19:03:02 PST 2008

Althusser's mental health problems really don't have much to do with the success or the lack of success of his political and philosophical projects. Frankly I don't see anything here that really deals with Althusser's project, which is a critical rereading of Marx that critiques a particular set of humanist readings of the same philosopher. I'm not sure what that has to do with the construction of a 'system of language' (although all analysis of ideology is necessarily going to have to deal with the question of the sign or of language.) I would suggest going back to the actual texts, but Spinoza's priviso at the end the introduction to the Theological Political Treatise comes to mind. robert wood