[lbo-talk] "Missing white girl" syndrome in the media

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 06:44:36 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 5:12 AM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Beneath the endless cable promotions and unquenchable public curiosity is a dark hole. If you shine a light into that hole you will find three familiar demons: racism, sexism, and a virulent class bias.

In addition to all that, I wonder what this gratuitous obsession with the kidnapping and murdering of young girls says about western culture. Often accompanying these stories there are "can you be sure your own children are safe?" segments. Effectively, parents are encouraged to see their own children as potential victims of violent or sexual predators. It's very creepy and very weird; very similar, I suspect, to present obsession with "sex slavery" and sexual predators on the Internet.

-WD