[lbo-talk] On the Threat from Religion

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Nov 21 08:18:06 PST 2008

On Nov 21, 2008

Chris Doss wrote:

> What Shane doesn't realize is that what he thinks is keen reason is
> actually epistemological solipsism, i.e., something only exists and
> concerns me if I can understand it. It equates the way the world is
> experienced by a certain kind of hominid with the world, which is
> quite funny.

What Chris doesn't realize is that HE wrote "outside of experience"-- not outside the experience of human beings but outside experience as such--and that HE wrote "outside of possible conceptualization"--not outside the conceptual possibilities of human beings but impossible of conceptualization as such. Yet he goes on chattering about "a conceptual system... for relating human existence to that something" as though it were not absurd in the highest degree to imagine conceptualizing a "relationship" between than which cannot be conceptualized and that which can. He should take philosophical advice about "that something"--*darum muss man schweigen*

Shane Mage