[lbo-talk] On the Threat from Religion

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 21 13:25:44 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2008, at 3:28 PM, WD wrote:
>
>> As much as I'd like to say my politics are rooted in some core set of
>> principles, I think that'd be pretty dishonest. Just like anyone else
>> here, I can give you plenty of reasons why I oppose capitalism, but I
>> suspect my attitudes on just about everything (including capitalism)
>> are more the product of things beyond my control -- experiences in
>> childhood, race, class, sexuality, etc. -- than any autonomous
>> reasoning on my part.
>
> Hey I'm not saying that an ethical or moral code is an independent
> variable. I'm just saying that it's silly to argue that there's no
> morality or ethics implicit in Marx's critique of capitalism.
>
> Doug

Sure it seems silly but unfortunately not everyone got that memo. That topic was heatedly debated and I thought put to rest before I knew anything about Marxism but apparently there are still some holdouts. As I posted earlier I don't think a criticism of capitalism needs to have a ethics component but Marx criticism certainly did.

John Thornton