[lbo-talk] morality

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:39:03 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 5:14 PM, <turbulo at aol.com> wrote:

Because exploitation is contrary to fundamental human nature. And it won't
> do to say that it can't be contrary because human beings do it (exploit one
> another).

Well, why the hell not?

> Certain things people do are consonant with what is fundamental about human
> beings, and certain things aren't. Our notions about human nature are also
> the basis for ethics (assuming we don't believe that morality is ordained by
> God).

You leave us a choice between "ordained by God" and "ordained by Jim." I don't know where to begin dissecting the assumptions packaged in the phrase "[o]ur notions." Were any of history's bloody dictators and conquerers less "human" than us? I see no reason to believe so. And certainly they all had their own notions about what is "fundamental" to existence.