[lbo-talk] On the threat from religion: Ziyad Husami

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 11:06:26 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I never quite got the notion of a "capitalist standard of justice," as if the notion of good and bad behaviors was invented by capitalists. The capitalist standard looks quite similar to all other standards, as far as I can tell.

For me, one of the clearest example of "capitalist justice" is the notion that there should be identical punishments for identical crimes -- irrespective of social rank (at least in theory). For example, the practice of beheading nobles but hanging commoners is awfully incompatible with capitalist standards of justice, as are sentences of corporal punishment (at least in The West). Incarceration as the primary way of punishing crimes also just happens to emerge alongside capitalism.

-WD