[lbo-talk] neoliberalism RIP

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Nov 23 12:13:22 PST 2008

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:53:33 -0500 Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> writes:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:31:05 -0000
> "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Lenin told us that capitalism could only survive by suspending the
> ordinary
> > laws of 'free' competition, taking refuge in monopolies and a
> burgeoning
> > state power. It is naive in the extreme to take the ideological
> tosh about
> > liberalisation seriously when the property-owning class is
> creating a police
> > state all around us.
>
> Indeed.
>
> It's rather puzzling to me why they're doing this. The fact is
> undeniable;
> but they weren't exactly facing an insurrection, were they? What are
> they
> so scared of? Additional social controls would appear otiose in a
> society
> already well under control.

Apparently, while most of us here might be rather pessimistic concerning the possibilities of a future insurrection, our property-owning class seems to have a rather different take on the matter. True, they are not facing an insurrection now, and they probably won't be facing one tomorrow either, but on the day after tomorrow, who knows? They are not taking any chances.

Anyway, it seems to me that it's our job to help make their fears a reality. It would be a pit if they had spent all money for nothing.

____________________________________________________________ Fashion Design Education - Click Here! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw3fAUSJ2310J3KRK7NmzajmrLSF5EUtuZIg5AJ6jZKOhkzPH/