[lbo-talk] More billions in search of solution

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:31:23 PST 2008

I was thinking about this very topic this morning while listening to my daily NPR blather with my oatmeal

See, I am one of those tree-hugging granola heads who DOES want to see Detroit make some progress about more ecologically sensible energy-efficient product mix in order to get more funds. I also want urban development patterns that just require fewer cars but that is a different problem: the automakers and their well-rewarded unions could certainly build buses as well.

I am also having one of my periodic bouts of needing to feed witless blundering bureaucracies truly astounding mountains of paperwork over amounts of money that would vanish in nanoseconds at bailout rates and I was thinking about the vast disproportion between the paperwork required of me per dollar returned and the free handouts going to the world of banking and finance.

My basic bottom line: just exactly what outcomes are we expecting of all these handouts? "Getting the credit markets" moving" sounds really amorphous and divorced from human indicators such as better public health, improved schools, reasonable public safety, and this especially so when all the bankers are doing is turning around and giving each other more bonuses after screwing up badly enough to need handouts in the first place.

So what performance indicators SHOULD we be rewarding?

DC