[lbo-talk] Deathbed conversion of Gramsci

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 26 15:46:46 PST 2008

One fervid English Calvinist of mid-17th-c came to reject immortality, and recorded in his diary that the realization of his mortality gave him much peace, not having to fret anymore about possible damnation. And of course if I remember correctly, this was part of the epicurean argument: that the fear of death was the fear of punishment by the gods, and to demonstrate mortality and the indifference of the gods eliminated the fear of death. When we are dead, we don't know we are dead, so why worry.

Carrol