[lbo-talk] hands in pockets, whistlin'

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Nov 26 17:03:14 PST 2008

A year ago, when Barack Obama said it was time to turn the page, his campaign declaration seemed to promise a fresh start for Washington. I, for one, failed to foresee Obama would turn the page backward. The president-elect's lineup for key governing positions has opted for continuity, not change. Virtually all of his leading appointments are restoring the Clinton presidency, only without Mr. Bill. In some important ways, Obama's selections seem designed to sustain the failing policies of George W. Bush.

This is not the last word and things are changing rapidly. But Obama's choices have begun to define him. His victory, it appears, was a triumph for the cautious center-right politics that has described the Democratic party for several decades. Those of us who expected more were duped, not so much by Obama but by our own wishful thinking.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20081208/greider_web

At Dissenting Justice, where I saw this item, Darren Hutchinson described it as "heads exploding at The Nation."

http://dissentingjustice.blogspot.com/2008/11/head-explosion-at-nation-left-duped-by.html

"let's be civil and nice, but not to the point of obeying the rules of debate as defined by liberal blackmail (in which, discomfort caused by a challenge is seen as some vague form of harassment)."

-- Dwayne Monroe, 11/19/08

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws