[lbo-talk] SEIU's Andy Stern throws former protege to the wolves

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 08:00:22 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Wasn't Freeman close to Stern, and the leader of the local that Stern wanted
> to absorb UHW into, to get rid of the troublesome Rosselli? In other words,
> to crush internal dissent, Stern picked a deputy who turned out to be deeply
> corrupt?

Nope. When Stern installed Freeman at Local 6434, Rosselli was a supporter of the International program. With Freeman in LA, Stern increased the power and size of Rosselli's NoCal L 250 by merging it with the SoCal hospital workers L 399.

> So it looks like Stern's actions, from the start, were wretched.

I don't get what's wretched about "throwing a former protege to the wolves" when that person has stolen $1 million from homecare and nursing home workers. Oh yeah, Stern did it, so it must be bad.