[lbo-talk] SEIU on strike to protect retirement pay

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 08:06:19 PST 2008

http://www.startribune.com/templates/Print_This_Story?sid=34982464

Hastings hospital workers walk out

By KEVIN GILES and TIM HARLOW, Star Tribune

November 24, 2008

Service workers unhappy with contract offers from hospital management walked picket lines and rallied outside Regina Medical Center in Hastings on Monday, saying they already struggle to pay their bills.

"How can they expect that we can afford this package when we're earning only $14 to $17 an hour?" said Karen Martineau, who spent six hours on the picket lines. "It's a challenge, especially as a single parent, to make ends meet."

About 230 union members of Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Healthcare Minnesota started their two-day strike at 6 a.m. after failing to resolve differences with hospital management over pension contributions and health insurance costs. Nurses' aides, X-ray technicians, physical therapy aides, housekeepers, dietary workers, medical transcriptionists, operating room aides and patient care technicians will remain off the job until 6 a.m. Wednesday.

The union called for a two-day strike to take a stand for working families, said Ryan Nagle, a union spokesman.

"We would just like to see this get resolved," said Judy Misencik, the hospital's marketing manager. The hospital hired extra security but no confrontations or other incidents were reported, she said, and hospital operations continued normally.

The strike was the first at the hospital in more than 20 years. Regina on Monday had 33 patients in its 57-bed hospital. Regina also has an attached nursing home where several of the striking workers are employed.

Union members have been without a contract since Oct. 31. The hospital is seeking to reduce its retirement contribution for all union and non-union employees from 8 percent to 6 percent for employees with six or more years of service, and from 4 percent to 3 percent for those with five or fewer years. The hospital is offering a 3 percent wage increase for each of the next three years, Misencik said.

Union workers say the costs they would bear under the proposal exceed the pay increase.

Wearing purple union stocking caps, workers assembled near the hospital's front entrance at 1175 Nininger Road for a noon rally that included St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman, SEIU Healthcare Minnesota President Julie Schnell and state Sen. Tarryl Clark, DFL-St. Cloud.

"All we want for Christmas is my pension saved," one placard read. "Regina's CEO: Why don't you give up your golf play time?" read another.

Jesse Nie, 23, a hospital cook who lives with his parents, was among the workers chanting phrases such as: "Regina spent its money wrong" and "these Hastings people will stand and fight." He said a steep increase in health care costs is hurting workers who bring great compassion to the patients they serve.

"If I ever had a family I couldn't work here because family coverage is so high," said Nie, who picketed the hospital with about 75 other workers in a numbing wind off the nearby Mississippi River.

Misencik said Regina hired 10 replacement workers to assist other hospital staff until the strike ends. In addition, she said, some retired employees came to help and some union members crossed the picket lines.

The two sides last met on Nov. 17 and no new talks are scheduled. Nagle said union members will ponder their next move after the walkout ends Wednesday.

Martineau, who dispenses medication in the nursing home, said she's concerned about supporting three children on a modest wage that now includes a 33 percent increase in her health care.

"We're fighting for what we want to keep," said Martineau, who participated in the negotiating. "Negotiations should be trying to enrich the contract and they're wanting to take it back. It's pretty hurtful to the dedicated employees they have."

Kevin Giles • 651-298-1554

(c) 2008 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.