[lbo-talk] once again on productive and unproductive labour

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 00:55:17 PST 2008

I am finding it very difficult talking sense to Paula, who seems to find it much easier to argue with what she thinks people have said than what they have said.

Paula writes:

"Our disagreement is about workers who are employed by capital, at a profit, and who do not produce material goods. And your argument is that all such workers are productive, because it is precisely the social form - the fact that they are employed by capital - that makes them so."

But that is exactly what I did not say. I said that finance sector workers are not productive (and also that public sector workers are not productive). In my previous post I have given some quotes to show just that.

Confronted with my actual words, as opposed to those that she thought she heard, Paula digs herself deeper into confusion:

"Therefore you are just being inconsistent when you say finance sector workers are unproductive. The logic of your argument is that retail, finance, and insurance sector workers are productive..."

I am not being inconsistent, because the logic that you attribute to me is not mine. You have not read what I have written. You are debating with an imaginary opponent, who holds views that you attribute to him. What I have said is here, a matter of record, There is no need for you to fill in the gaps, to add two and two to make five.

You are welcome to disagree with your imaginary friend, who thinks that finance is productive. I am not him.