[lbo-talk] Ilya Ehrenburg

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 11:57:28 PST 2008

A couple of years ago I translated several of Ilya Ehrenburg's WWII writings for the Soviet military press and posted them here. Anyway, I just translated another, very short one:

NIKOLAI VLADIMIROVICH -- ONE YEAR OLD Red Star, November 30 1943

How much the Germans have taken from us! They have taken from us not only loved ones, homes, and possessions. Life was complicated. There were dreams, joys, people, many books, many countries. But now everything in me is unchangeably focussed on one thing: on the German. I see him -- blue-eyed and inhuman. He walks and kills, he sings and kills, he laughs and kills.

Among the papers of the town head of the village of Vyazovaya, recently liberated from the Germans, was found the following document:

"List of executed residents of the village of Vyazovaya, Uzninskaya region:

1) Muzalevskaya Natalia Ivanovna. 43 years old. 2) Muzalevskaya Natalia Nikolaevna. 18 years old. 3) Muzalevskaya Diana Nikolaevna. 16 years old. 4) Muzalevsky Lev Nikolaevich. 13 years old. 5) Muzalevskaya Valentina Nikolaevna. 9 years old. 6) Muzalevskaya Tamara Nikolaevna. 5 years old. 7) Muzalevskaya Rima Nikolaevna. 3 years old. 8) Davydov Vladimir Ilych. 35 years old. 9) Davydov Anatoli Vladimirovich. 8 years old. 10) Davydov Victor Vladimirovich. 5 years old. 11) Davydov Nikolai Vladimirovich. 1 year old. 12) Pryadochkina Maria Petrovna. 60 years old.

19 September 1942. Town head Muzalev."

Can this be forgotten? Is it possible to live knowing that people are walking the earth who shot Davydov Nikolai Vladimirovich to death, one year old, an infant, the baby Kolya, shot him and ordered his name entered into a list? It is hard to talk about it, but impossible to forget. We still have a long way to go. But we will get there. We will find them. We will find them under their beds, in their vegetarian cafeterias, at the ends of the Earth. We will remember the one-year-old Kolya Davydov. We will remember much.