[lbo-talk] Krugman: financial market reform *now*

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Nov 29 18:47:03 PST 2008

Peter Ward asks:

> Maybe we should consider getting rid of the financial market--what
> social desirable objective does its existence facilitate?

The usual list of why regulating financial markets is desireable includes:

- If you don't regulate it, it exists anyways, except without regulation

(funny, this doesn't much apply to the drugs market, but nevermind that)

- Organized markets have better transparency than unorganizaed ones (witness the recent performance of CDOs and CDSs)

- Good markets can spread risk, which encourages growth

That's the big three off the top of my head.

/jordan