[lbo-talk] More part-time work is bad sign for U.S.

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 22:32:42 PST 2008

Actually the part-time employment issue is not new: somewhere in Bush ii's first term he was going on about how many jobs had been created and a comic quipped, yeah but a person needs three of them to survive.

Part of the part-time employment issue is because of employer-paid health care. Most employers, workers have to work a certain number of hours / week to qualify for the group health plan and it's easier to have more employees working just below the threshold than to pay insurance.

The current crisis is dragging part-tune employment out in new ways. The WA state government is considering mandatory 4-day work weeks. Some organizations are doing foced furloughs. One small office I know of, the CEO took a 20% pay cut with SMALLER cuts down the line. Honestly, I think partial furloughs for everyone is easier on workers than layoffs and forcing the people remaining to do three people's jobs, something that seems rife at some local large employers.

The forced furlough topic also seems ironic: US workers get less paid vacation than workers in practically any other industrialized country, even though some measures of productivitiy are better in countries with reasonable levels of paid vacation.

All this is a long-winded way of speculating: are there opportunities for labor / workers out of all this extra time? Yeah, layoffs suck. Yeah financial insecurity sucks, but if you cannot get paid anyway, why not spend time doing something worthwhile that could not be done with an insane fulltime work schedule.

Anyone else see any possible opportunities out of this mess?

DC