[lbo-talk] Thought's on Doug's interview with Ayers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 30 14:41:03 PST 2008

Almost _all_ criticisms of education and/or the schools, past and present, share a fundamental error: they implicitly treat education as an independent facotor, with causation running from it to the society at large. But schools cannot do other than serve the needs of the social order in which they exist. For one thing, schools have no independent source of funds, which has always guaranteed an overworked and underpaid work force. And that in turn guranatees a workforce exceedingly sensitive to social pressure (visible and invisible), even on the part of the most independent and well-meaning teachers and scholars. Fifty years ago at Michigan as grad teacher of freshman comp I 'imposed' an individualist and anti-communist perspective on my students not because I was consciously "serving capitalism" but because I fucking believed what I was teaching.

We simply come back again and again that it is only _practice_, political struggle, not "independent thinking" or some utopian-vision of an educational system that can change attitudes in any effective way. Thought emerges from practice.

Carrol