[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on the politics of the crisis

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Oct 1 03:56:43 PDT 2008

i've never seen reed as speaking to democrats, who typically believe that the fight basically boils down to democrats vs. republicans, that what counts is an assessment of whether or not a politician is talented or that hearing a congressman's views mirror your own means we're in a democracy.

in that sense, he's not even speaking to progressives (these days) since Hillary Clinton defines herself as a progressive.

so, if you think of yourself as a progressive or liberal or democrat, he's not speaking to you.

i've always seen him as speaking to people who want radical change, with the primary target being the elimination of capitalism. people who under most circumstances recognize that the change isn't going to come about through electoral politics. ("under most" because in years divisible by four, they get distracted....)

doug? do you think that's about right?

At 01:57 AM 10/1/2008, Ann Buckingham wrote: <...> But when somebody says things I believe in congress, this almost feels like a democracy. Swish, slash, says Reed, you're vacuous and off point.