[lbo-talk] Today's Papers come down on F'in Tom

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Oct 1 09:39:45 PDT 2008

[I don't think I've ever seen Slate's "Today's Papers," a summary of the morning newspapers, come down on a columnist like this. There's something about Tom that shocks even devotees of objective reporting]

http://www.slate.com/id/2201299/

<quote>

In what might very well be one of the most pretentious columns in

recent memory, the NYT's Thomas Friedman says readers should take the

financial crisis seriously "because I know an unprecedented moment when

I see one." Friedman then goes on to say that "I've been frightened for

my country only a few times in my life," and they were all during

momentous events. This ability isn't something he gained with life

experience; it's apparently innate. "[E]ven as a boy of 9," he informs

us, "I followed the tension of the Cuban missile crisis."

<unquote>

Michael