[lbo-talk] auto sales crater

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Oct 1 18:31:17 PDT 2008

> A friend who owned the local Lincoln-Mercury dealership just
> closed his doors. Permanently.

There are other things going on in the auto business:

- Cars have gotten better

. The engineering of things like 100,000 mile oil changes means "make

it up on service" doesn't cut it as much as it used to

. They just last longer, so turnover is lower than it used to be

. The leasing game is pretty much over; a car loan beats a lease, and

no one gets a car loan anymore because they use home equity instead.

- The Interwebs have really changed things:

. Price transparency: you can tell more easily if you're getting

a "good deal"

. "Mobile" inventory: I want a blue one, but you don't have one; in

the past, I'd settle for your green one. Today I want you to trade

your green one to the guy in Fresno who has a blue one ...

. Fleet pricing: the biggest guy in the area has better deals

All that has translated to thin margins. I'm actually surprised that they sell as many cars in the US as they do.

/jordan