[lbo-talk] Palin and feminism

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Oct 2 08:48:24 PDT 2008

In the Sarah Palin debate, patriotism comes 1st, then feminism

BY ROCHELLE RILEY ● FREE PRESS COLUMNIST ● October 2, 2008

My efforts to convince Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to withdraw from the presidential race drew passionate dissents -- and a lot of hate mail -- from women in the movement.

Eighty-eight years after women finally got the right to vote, many women now rightly push for more at every opportunity. And to them, Sarah Palin represents an opportunity. I call it "Suffrage Plus." And it's real.

"We are sorely underrepresented in our government. Governor Sarah Palin may not be your choice but it is historic that a woman has been nominated as a Vice President in the republican party," one feminist wrote to me from Sherman Oaks, Calif. "To trash her is a terrible thing to do and a poor message to America's girls."

Full: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081002/COL10/810020420