[lbo-talk] House rejects bailout

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 14:45:54 PDT 2008

SA wrote:
> Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:47 PM, SA wrote:
>>
>>> Doug, your line is so contradictory there must be something besides
>>> pure analysis going into it. When it comes to health care reform
>>> you're a purist: The Demoplan is a sellout, it won't fix the
>>> problem, it should be single-payer or nothing. (I agree.) That's
>>> your stance even though, speaking realistically, "we" don't have any
>>> real leverage to back up such hard demands on the health care industry.
>>
>> Bailouts require speed. Health care reform doesn't.
>> ___________________________________
>>

> For the record, the three sentences that followed in my post were:
>
>> This would make some sense if it were really true that the world
>> financial system is going to collapse next week without a bailout
>> inked, but that's nonsense. As long as the markets know that *some*
>> bailout will ultimately happen in the relatively near term, they'll
>> manage to limp along until it does. In the meantime, the left wing of
>> the Democrats would be out of their minds not to milk this unusual
>> moment for all the leverage it can generate.
>
> Seth

If the idea that there will be a financial system collapse next week if nothing is passed this week is nonsense can you please let me know how many days we do have until panic sets in? I'd really like to know the date of such an event....oh, and how you know that date would be appreciated as well. I don't know how long we have but speed seems essential to me and every days delay so far has just added shit to the bill rather than improve it in some substantive manner.

John Thornton