[lbo-talk] Blinder & Hubbard: don't lift FDIC insurance caps!

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 09:05:57 PDT 2008

I reread the article. (Computer was out for repair recently and I have to fix something in the way of easy reading.)

So now I see Blinder's point about the price of deposit insurance but an assortment of naive questions come to mind:

--(This one's tongue in cheek!) So why even have deposit insurance at all if there are no caps on the amounts insured? Why not just let the market take care of how people figure out where it's safe to leave their money?

--Why wouldn't deposit insurance rates be one barrier to undercapitalization anyway? Is this just part of the general assets too diced up to value issue or did these rates specifically not adjust appropriately for policy reasons?

DC