[lbo-talk] House rejects bailout

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 04:49:16 PDT 2008

Chris takes issue with Dmitri for opposing the bailout, saying it is the minority position.

But I don't think I support the bailout, either.

I was staggered to see the traders shouting obscenities at their television screens, calling the Congressmen 'idiots' for not paying them seven billion dollars.

For 48 hours we were told that if the lawmakers did not sign up to this grotesque bribe that the banks would plunge the US and the world into recession.

Then, lo and behold, no sooner was the cheque signed, but all the smart commentators started to let us into the secret, that the bailout would not work, anyway. I guess it turns out the congressmen were idiots for paying, not for refusing to.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to shoot some of these bankers and traders, pour encourager les autres? Where's your mettle, you Americans? There has to be a more imaginative solution than printing more money.