[lbo-talk] there can be no bailout

Dmytri Kleiner dk at telekommunisten.net
Mon Oct 6 05:54:45 PDT 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 00:37:02 +0100, "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Dymytry, so wise on so many things, is I think wrong here

Hi James, you may be wrong on the first assertion, but I think we actually agree with what you say here.

> "A country that consumes more wealth than it produces can only last as
> long as it's military is effective at exacting tribute from client
states.
> ..American must, and will, consume less. There is nothing anyone can do
> about it, short of war."
>
> First off, wrong because the simpler alternative would be to produce
more.

Then it no longer becomes "A country that consumes more wealth than it produces," I see no indication that route is being pursued, and don't expect it to be until after all avenues of bullying and extortion are fully undertaken first.

For what it's worth, we're doing our bit, I've moved most of telekommunisten's hosting from German to US-based datacenters over the last year. Fucking cheap!

> Second off, wrong, because 'America' is a false abstraction, forcibly
> eliding the contrasting interests of US workers, who consume much less
> than they produce, and US capitalists who consume not only more than they
> produce, but in doing so, tip the balance to put the country in the red.

Exactly! I fully agree with as well. However the army works for the US capitalists, not the workers.

None of this disputes my argument that their can be no bailout. Not because of my opposition, but whatever laws they pass, but rather no bailout will work.

Cheers.

-- Dmytri Kleiner editing text files since 1981

http://www.telekommunisten.net