[lbo-talk] More on Weather Underground, Obama, McCain, Palin (Bill Weinberg)

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 6 08:43:11 PDT 2008

QUOTE PULL:

"I'll call right now my interrogator that tortured me and my friends a gook," [McCain] said in 2000. "You can quote me."

Excellent discussion of the Obama and Ayers portrayal here, along with documentation of McCain's close friendships with fascists like G. Gordon Liddy and members of the Aryan Nation, AND how Sarah Palin defeated former Governor of Alaska John Stein through an anti-Jewish whispering campaign. (Stein is not even Jewish.)

http://ww4report.com/node/6116

I'll just print, here, a section from Bill Weinberg's comments on the Weather Underground, comments that I think are very helpful:

In a front-page story in the New York Times on the Obama-Ayers controversy Oct. 4 the paper recalls:

"In an article that by chance was published on Sept. 11, 2001, The New York Times wrote about Mr. Ayers and his just-published memoir, Fugitive Days, opening with a quotation from the author: "I don't regret setting bombs. I feel we didn't do enough."

"Three days after the Qaeda attacks, Mr. Ayers wrote a reply posted on his Web site to clarify his quoted remarks, saying the meaning had been distorted.

"My memoir is from start to finish a condemnation of terrorism, of the indiscriminate murder of human beings, whether driven by fanaticism or official policy," he wrote. But he added that the Weathermen had "showed remarkable restraint" given the nature of the American bombing campaign in Vietnam that they were trying to stop."

The Times delineates the casualties the Weather Underground were responsible for:

"Most of the bombs the Weathermen were blamed for had been placed to do only property damage, a fact Mr. Ayers emphasizes in his memoir. But a 1970 pipe bomb in San Francisco attributed to the group killed one police officer and severely hurt another. An accidental 1970 explosion in a Greenwich Village town house basement killed three radicals; survivors later said they had been making nail bombs to detonate at a military dance at Fort Dix in New Jersey. And in 1981, in an armed robbery of a Brinks armored truck in Nanuet, N.Y., that involved Weather Underground members including Kathy Boudin and David Gilbert, two police officers and a Brinks guard were killed."

The Weathermen undertook their campaign of bombings in response to the US saturation bombardment of Vietnam­which claimed probably hundreds of thousands of civilian lives, wreaked untold ecological damage, and so shocked the world that the Geneva Conventions were amended in its aftermath to outlaw the practice. However adventurist and counter-productive the Weather bombings were (and they pale in comparison to the deadly violence of the radical-right armed underground of the '80s and '90s), they were an effort to resist US government actions which are today legally recognized as criminal.

But while Obama is tarred as a terrorist-lover for his acquaintance with Bill Ayers, McCain is unapologetic for the 23 bombing missions he flew in Vietnam. (Newsweek, July 21) On the contrary, this experience is portrayed as a patriotic duty and touted as qualifying him for the Oval Office.

The racism behind the genocidal US campaign in Southeast Asia is alive and well in John McCain­as his own words reveal. According to press portrayals, such as the above Newsweek story, many in Vietnam are actually rooting for McCain­including Tran Trong Duyet, head of the guard unit at Hoa Lo prison where McCain was held as a POW (the "Hanoi Hilton"), who denies the senator's claims that he was tortured there. McCain isn't so forgiving. "I'll call right now my interrogator that tortured me and my friends a gook," he said in 2000. "You can quote me." (<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/20/us/politics/20captor.html?ref=us>NYT, Sept. 20)