[lbo-talk] question for those opposed to the bailout

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 10:53:10 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2008, at 12:27 AM, Gar Lipow wrote:
>
>> It will really be interesting to note over the next few days whether
>> this bailout gives major institutions the confidence to start short
>> term lending again.
>
> This is not the best-designed bailout in the history of bailouts - though a
> piece in today's FT says the language is broad enough to give the Treasury
> broad discretion, and it is likely to use that discretion to pursue the
> better strategy of direct recapitalizations. But in any case, they take
> years. Judging it on the basis of the first three hours of stock trading is
> nutty.
>
> Doug

I said days, not hours. And I thought the whole argument for supporting this rather than opposing it in favor of something better was:

1) Something has to be done Now!Now!Now! because otherwise credit will stay frozen.

2) This is far from perfect, but it is better than an immediate crash, so we should not oppose.

OK, in spite of Carrol, this seemed sensible and I was willing to admit I was wrong in opposing this truly horrible bailout. Especially when Jame Galbraith changed his mind and backed off from his earlier statements opposing it. And I'm not pronouncing it dead yet since this is only the first working day of the week. But this was never intended to be a complete or long term solution - only a temporary fix to stop the bleeding. But if the bleeding isn't stopped by say Wednesday, if we don't start seeing some short term lending (not an increase in the stock market, but some unfreezing) of the credit market that doesn't that weaken the argument for Now!Now!Now! ? I mean I presume the left reason for supporting this is partially humanitarian (as bad as this bailout is a crash is worse, and will make life worse for working Americans) and partly political (a crash can lead to really bad things politically in Weimar America.). If it does even delay a crash, then doesn't that eliminate the point of doing that.

This was argued on the basis of common sense, and reason. Doesn't that imply there is some sort of Metric? If it is not the unfreezing of the credit market, then what was it? What is your metric for success or failure of this bailout? And I know that no money is actually going out for six weeks, but I don't think results this week are an unreasonable expectation. After all 700 billion is nowhere near the size of the deflation that has already occurred in the bubble. The whole point as I understood it was to increase investor confidence to the point where short term lending would start again. If it is a confidence game (pun intentional) then I don't see why results should have to wait for the money to be spent. If results that indirectly help working people are not going to come right away, then doesn't that weaken the argument for Now!Now!Now! ? Again, if this is not the metric for success what is? What result would it take for you to declare the bailout a failure (for the vast majority of people) and reluctant support for it a mistake? What does it have to accomplish to be a minimal success, better than doing nothing?