[lbo-talk] Discussing the Crisis/Bailout

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Mon Oct 6 13:02:42 PDT 2008

>>> Carrol Cox
What would it mean for radicals to discuss the Bailout?

I would presume their focus (unless they were merely interested in parroting one of the sides represented in WSJ/BusinessWeek/NYT/etc) would be (a) on the causes of the bailout and (b) on how mass movements might come into existence through response to the Bailout.

We can read very good arguments for and against it in the major media. So obviously reciting those arguments is merely posting news as easily acquired elsewhere. Hence such arguments (whether pro or con) do not constitute discussion of the bailout among leftists.

This will have to be redrafted later, but I think it points a direction.

Carrol

^^^^^ CB: The bailout is an opportunity to raise workers' class consciousness concerning the relationship between the ruling class and the state power. Even many rightwing workers are pissed about it, and probably open minded in a way that they are not usually.

It is obvious from how things "went down" that Paulson is Bush's boss. The President is not the most powerful man in the world. Paulson , at the least, is more powerful than he is, because he came to DC, did not put a gun to anyone's head, but made the people with more guns than anybody else in the world give him 700 billion dollars. That should clarify things for lots of workers as to who the ruling class is and where it is located.