[lbo-talk] bailout

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 01:46:12 PDT 2008

Doug asks:

> You want to drive the unemployment rate to 12% or more?

No. If I thought the bailout really would draw the poison out of the system, then I would say, support it.

But the way it looks from over here is like one of those Irish EU referendums, where the the people have to be dragged kicking and screaming to what the establishment thinks is the "right" vote.

A lot of people's first instinct was that it was a crock. Now they are being browbeaten into accepting it. But it looks like their first instinct was right.

The lister who blinked in disbelief at the assent here for the idea that 'what's good for Goldman Sachs is good for America' had a point.