[lbo-talk] Shameless self-promotion

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 05:01:25 PDT 2008

David Vine, Philip Harvey, and I have co-authored a chapter that will appear in the book _Waging War, Waging Peace: Reparations and Human Rights_ to be released next month.  The chapter, "'We All Must Have the Same Treatment': Calculating the Damages of Human Rights Abuses for the People of Diego Garcia," describes the damage calculation model that we have developed to estimate the reparations Chagossians are owed as a result of their expulsion from Chagos. I will make copies of the chapter available once we get the book in hand, but in case anyone is interested in ordering a copy of the book, contact me for a discount order form.  For more information about the book, see http://www.lcoastpress.com/book.php?id=147.  Wojtek

--------------------------------------------------------------- "When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost. [...] All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men." - HL Mencken ----------------------------------------------------------------