[lbo-talk] [Marxism] Adjuncts and academic freedom

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 7 08:16:10 PDT 2008

Ismail Lagardien wrote:
> I have the most exceptional relationship with my students; I start from the position of having respect for them, and that I am there to teach and listen to them, that they are adults with an interest in society.
>
> The problems I do have are personal. I have reached the conclusion that I should not have done this PhD, and that I should not be looking for a job in Academia. Although I did the PhD for deeply personal reasons (South Africa's department of coloured affairs rejected and I had to show those motherfuckers that I could do it) it seems like I am "unhirable" because of my age and lack of publications. I started and finished the PhD in my 40s after many years as a journalist and other things... Oh, and then there is the thing about my being a post-positivist and a Marxist; getting a position in a country where "political science" is based on very, very mainstream methods seems impossible.
>

> So... to recap, other than the fact that I am in credit card debt for the first time in my life (and it sucks), I have no complaints about being an adjunct.
>
> Ismail
>

> Aluta Continua!

I worked as an adjunct for about 10 years before I landed a tenure-track job. It's brutal. For me, the worst thing was the lack of job security (will my class at X fill next term? Where could I teach if it gets cancelled?). If you really like teaching, apply for faculty positions at community colleges. The pay is lower than in 4-year colleges and universities, but you get to interact with students in relatively small classes.

Miles