[lbo-talk] On Invasion Anniversary, British Govt Says: Talk to Taliban

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Oct 7 10:22:31 PDT 2008

[In this piece I collect five items of interest from the last few days: the Guardian article on the British commander's statement; the Financial Times article on the British government's statement of support for the military commander; the UN representative in Afghanistan's supportive statement; Defense Secretary Gates' partially supportive statement; and the CNN report on the talks between Taliban representatives and Afghan officials in Saudi Arabia. - RN]

October 7 marks the seventh anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan. To mark the occasion, the British government, our closest allies in Europe, are sending us a message on all channels: there is no military solution, there must be a political solution, and there should be talks with the Taliban. It would be a step forward for U.S. policy if both Presidential candidates would acknowledge this reality in tonight's debate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/on-invasion-anniversary-b_b_132628.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/7/125632/842/608/622807

-- Robert Naiman Just Foreign Policy www.justforeignpolicy.org naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Ambassador Pickering on Iran Talks and Multinational Enrichment http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGZFrFxVg8A