[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Community Reinvestment Act at fault -- NOT

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 20:36:38 PDT 2008

That did come out kind of wrong, and three times to boot while I tried to deal with the technology.

At the time when W made the original statement, I was thinking things like flat or declining real wages, excessive credit card debt W gutting enforcement of civil rights and voting rights laws and even the CRA itself. To say the least, I thought it was counterintuitive that those policies would lead to record levels of home ownership among minorities.

It's clear now that the combination of leaving consumer protection to the states, loopholes one can drive a Halliburton super transport through, and federal deregulation just unleashed a lot of vultures, wildly overleveraged ones at that.

Full disclosure: I suppose spouse and I qualified as underrepresented borrowers. I have experience with a Countrywide mortgage. I was astounded that our loan was approved and expected it not to be. There were big problems going in... Different choices should definitely have occurred, but I was not sorry to see them fall. There. Is that better?

DoreneC