[lbo-talk] presidential

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Oct 8 09:14:40 PDT 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 10:33 AM, shag wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> Amazing that Mitt Romney, McC's chief econo-flack, knew nothing about
>> his proposal to buy $300 billion in bad mortgages. What a weird
>> campaign - strictly seat of the pants.
>>
>> Doug
>
> Did anyone else read the Rolling Stone hit piece on McCain? The guy
> is a
> slime bag and for the life of me, I can't now fathom why any of these
> liberals I've read for years on other lists thought otherwise.

To be sure...

> At any rate, the RS piece sure explains it all in terms of his
> tendency to
> fly by the seat of his pants -- especially flying many planes into the
> ground, including an incident where he killed 131 shipmates in a
> blast of
> bombs and napalm as a consequence.

But the article in fact makes clear that this "incident" (unlike his crashing four airplanes and recklessly getting himself shot down in a fifth) was not McNothing's fault-- he was nearly among the victims. But it also makes clear that, in this incident (as always) his profile was that of anything but courage.

Shane Mage

"This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 30