[lbo-talk] Bailout

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 03:21:13 PDT 2008

Michael Smith writes "But look on the bright side. "We" are no longer enslaved, mentally and otherwise, by a mortgage and the insane fetish of "home" ownership."

Sorry, but I am not really following this thought here, are you really saying that it is a good thing that people lose their homes, because that will liberate them? Or that it is good that they are poor, because that makes them free? I know Diogenes thought so - 'I saw a child drink from her hands, and threw my cup away'. But then he slept in a barrel and masturbated in the town square.

Home ownership is not an insane fetish, it is one of the ways that people meet their need for a roof over their heads.