[lbo-talk] insty-book on The Crisis

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 9 10:16:58 PDT 2008

Let me alert you to an 'instant book' from Vox, 'Rescuing our Jobs and Savings: What G7/8 Leaders can do to Solve the Global Credit Crisis':

For immediate release, PM Thursday 9 October 2008

RESCUING OUR JOBS AND SAVINGS

We are in the throes of what is almost certainly the most serious economic and financial crisis of our lifetimes. The crisis is no longer a US crisis, or even a US and European crisis; it is a global crisis. It has spread from the financial sector to the real economy. It is not just investment portfolios and retirement accounts at risk: continued turmoil will soon start to destroy jobs.

There is a need for urgent action. The policy response needs to be decisive. It needs to be global.

With this sense of urgency in mind, we have assembled a group of leading economists to offer priorities for crisis response. The authors are: Alberto Alesina, Michael Burda, Charles Calomiris, Roger Craine, Stijn Claessens, J Bradford DeLong, Douglas Diamond, Barry Eichengreen, Daniel Gros, Luigi Guiso, Anil K Kashyap, Marco Pagano, Avinash Persaud, Richard Portes, Raghuram G Rajan, Guido Tabellini, Charles Wyplosz and Klaus Zimmermann.

The dozen essays present a remarkable consensus on a few points: we need immediate, coordinated global action that includes recapitalisation of the banks.

The book is available for free download here:

http://www.voxeu.eu/index.php?q=node/2340

Romesh Vaitilingam