[lbo-talk] I can find 1000 Americans who think that the US should talk to the Taliban

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Oct 10 12:07:20 PDT 2008

Just Foreign Policy did an alert this week based on the simple proposal that the Presidential candidates should acknowledge that the British government is saying that there should be talks with the Taliban. A pretty modest proposal. Defense Secretary Gates acknowledged it, and made moderately supportive comments. So did General Petraeus.

I can't remember a time when we had such a low response on an alert. I strongly suspect that part of the reason is that the Taliban have been so demonized in US political discourse that even people who are pro-peace have a hard time thinking about the question rationally.

So, of course, this just made me more determined to try to think of ways to inject this basic idea into the national political discourse.

I just created a group on Facebook. The name of the group is:

"I can find 1000 Americans who think the US should talk to the Taliban"

and the link is:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=29038373969

If you are on Facebook, please sign up and, if you are so inclined, spread. The sole purpose of the group is to add to the tally, and to create a space for people to state what should be obvious.

-- Robert Naiman Just Foreign Policy www.justforeignpolicy.org naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Ambassador Pickering on Iran Talks and Multinational Enrichment http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGZFrFxVg8A