[lbo-talk] must the molecules fear?

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Fri Oct 10 12:50:02 PDT 2008

Carrol:

>David Harvey is certainly a respected Marxist, and an argument by him
>has to be taken seriously -- but I agree that the concept doesn't really
>help. There was a fine forum on Harvey's book a year or so ago in
>Historical Materialism. Ellen Wood was one of the participants.

I see it as an anticapitalist version of the end of history: the "main substantive achievement of neoliberalization [Š] has been to redistribute, rather than to generate, wealth and income." Among other things, Harvey's argument takes Keynesianism as the ideal productive arrangement: capitalism certainly has produced things since 1979, not least of all a subjectivity that doesn't correspond to the postwar normalizations. Accumulation by dispossession is a concept recognizable only to white men over 50.

[By the way, I had several misspellings in my last post, but the only one that bothers me is Federici's first name, which is Silvia.]