[lbo-talk] of salmon and eau de parfum

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Oct 10 17:58:28 PDT 2008

LRB hit piece on Sarah Palin: long and good. :) http://www.lrb.co.uk/v30/n19/raba01_.html

Wasilla is what inevitably happens when there are no codes, no civic oversight, no planning, when the only governing principle in a community is a naive and superstitious trust in the benevolent authority of the free market. Palin's view of aesthetics was nicely highlighted in 1996, a few months before she ran for mayor, when a reporter for the Anchorage Daily News happened to light on her in an excited crowd of five hundred women queuing up in the Anchorage J.C. Penney's, waiting to snag the autograph of Ivana Trump, who was in town to hawk her eponymous line of scent.

'We want to see Ivana,' Palin said, who admittedly smells like a salmon for a large part of the summer, 'because we are so desperate in Alaska for any semblance of glamour and culture.'