[lbo-talk] David Brooks, so worried

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 11 13:49:57 PDT 2008

Man, it's really interesting how disillusioned conservative intellectuals are. Back when I was one, we didn't really have anyone in public life to popularize our agenda - we all felt very lonely and defeated. We all took that quote from Whittaker Chambers to heart: "It is idle to talk about preventing the wreck of Western civilization. It is already a wreck from within." Reagan changed that - though I'd left the fold, the fold felt very happy to have a real movement conservative - who was not an intellectual, but who, as Brooks points out, was someone who took right-wing ideas seriously - on his way to the White House. The high-domes of the right were happy to play the populist game as long as there was still some ideological fervor in the mix. Now, though, Palin looks like the reductio ad absurdam of that populism, and the ideological fervor is gone. Of course they can't admit that they've had their way with the world and the world is much the worse for it. But what an impressive disillusionment.

Doug