[lbo-talk] guano

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Oct 11 16:14:22 PDT 2008

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 12:26:19 -0700 michael perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:

> Regarding Shag's discussion of the importance of guano.

The oeuvre of Anthony Trollope owes something to guano. That marvelous creep Ferdinand Lopez (The Duke's Children), a villain for whom you almost root in spite of himself and his creator, depends at a crucial point on a speculation in guano. (Spoiler: it doesn't turn out well.)

IIRC Melmotte, another fully-human creep, in The Way We Live Now, has a guano connection, but I don't remember the details.